Međugorje, a village located in present day Bosnia-Herzegovina, has been the site of alleged apparitions of the Virgin Mary since June 24, 1981. The present article, The Status of Međugorje, has examined the Catholic Church's response to these alleged apparitions.
* 1 Investigation status
o 1.1 Authorities responsible to evaluate the question
* 2 Claims of supernatural effects
o 2.1 Medical Cures at Međugorje
* 3 Views of theologians and others
o 3.1 Supportive views
+ 3.1.1 René Laurentin
+ 3.1.2 Michael O'Carroll
+ 3.1.3 Henri Joyeux
+ 3.1.4 Briege McKenna
o 3.2 Critical views
o 3.3 Neutral views
+ 3.3.1 Yugoslavian Episcopal Conference
o 3.4 More supportive views
+ 3.4.1 Apostolic nuncios
+ 3.4.2 Christoph Schönborn
+ 3.4.3 Joseph Ratzinger
+ 3.4.4 John Paul II
+ 3.4.5 Mother Teresa
+ 3.4.6 Joaquin Navarro-Valls
+ 3.4.7 Tarcisio Bertone
* 4 References
by: Viktor Nuiæ, OFM, Dr.
Publisched by: K. KREŠIMIR, Zagreb, 1998
English version by: Snježana Pezer
I. BOSNA SREBRENA (SIVLER BOSNIA)
1.The Establishment of the Bosnian Franciscan Vicary
2. Introducing a New Church Hierarchy
3. The Era of Archbishop Stadler
a) The Dispossession of Parishes
b) The Secularization of the Franciscans
c) Squeezing the Franciscans out of Public Life
4. The Development of 'Bosna Srebrena' (Silver Bosnia)
5. Archbishop Šari's Era
II. FRANCISCAN HERZEGOVINA
A. THE INDEPENDENCE OF THE HERZEGOVINIAN FRANCISCANS
1. The Monastery on Široki Brijeg
2. An Apostolic Vicary for Herzegovina
3. A Franciscan Custody for Herzegovina
4. The Monastery in Humac (Ljubuški)
5. The Monastery in Mostar
6. The Franciscan Province in Herzegovina
B. THE PROBLEM FACED BY THE PARISHES IN HERZEGOVINA
1. The Decision of the Holy See of 1899
2. The Decision of the Holy See of 1923
3. The Calamities of the Franciscans During the Second World War
4. The Revocation of the Decision by the Holy See of 1923
5. The Decision by the Holy See to Consign Five Parishes
6. The Fruitless Agreement of 1968
7. The Outbreak of the "Herzegovinian Affair"
8. Longterm Negotiations
9. The Holy See's Decree "Romanis Pontificibus" of 1975
10. The Franciscans Refuse to Actively Participate in the Implementation of the Decree
11. Sanctions (penalties)
12. The Mostar Affair
13. The apljina Affair
14. The "Alleviated" Implementation of the Decree of 1975
C. HIDING BEHIND THE DECREE OF 1975
1. Who is Behind the Holy See's Decree of 1975?
2. The Unquestionable Obedience of the Mostar Bishops Towards the Holy See?
3. The "Goodness" of the Decision by the Holy See of 1975
4. The "Justice" of the Decision by the Holy See of 1975?
Two months before the apparitions began, Vicka, while getting firewood, along with her brother and sisters, found two old Rosaries in the trailer they were using to haul the wood. Vicka said they were strange, in that they were, “such that we haven’t ever seen before.” (1) To describe them she said, “A rather large cross is on one of them, and all fourteen stations of the cross are carved into the cross. And on the cross of the other Rosary a relic was built in. Or so they say.” (2)
St. James Church in Medjugorje –Taken on July 3, 1986 during the 6:40 p.m. apparition. Pilgrims experienced the miracle of the sun during the time this picture was taken. Among the pilgrims was the first large American group to travel to Medjugorje.
Our Lady appears to six visionaries, which can see her and talk with her during regular apparitions. During some of these apparitions, Our Lady gives messages. One of most frequented topics of these messages are appeals for prayers and love.
On June 24, 1981 at around 6pm six little children went outside of Medjugorje on a little hill named Podbrdo, or locally known as Crnica.
Those children were Ivanka Ivanković, Mirjana Dragičević, Vicka Ivanković, Ivan
Dragičević, Ivan Ivanković and Milka Pavlović. While there, they saw a beautiful, young woman holding a baby in her arms. She never said anything that day, but tried to show them with her hands to come closer to her. The children got very scared and ran away, although they all thought they saw Virgin Mary.
Supernatural signs are a method God has used throughout history to know Him and to bring His children to conversion. It is a way God speaks to us or to incite our hearts to believe and come to Him. Yet, Jesus once said:
“An evil and unfaithful generation seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign of Jonah the prophet.”
Yet still, Our Lady says:
March 25, 1990
“…God wants to save you and sends you messages through men, nature, and so many things which can only help you to understand that you must change the direction of your life…”